Join the movement against modern slavery! Free the Slaves is looking for motivated volunteers to assist in our Washington, DC headquarters. Volunteers will have the opportunity to contribute concretely to our mission and to learn about the ins-and-outs of managing a global nonprofit organization.
Tasks will be tailored to volunteers’ interests and qualifications—we have work suited for high school seniors and experienced grant officers, and everything in between. Staff will provide training and mentoring for anyone interested to learn about international nonprofit management.
Volunteer tasks may include:
- Planning fundraising, awareness-raising, and academic events
- Assisting with research and implementation of new institutional policies and procedures
- Researching and monitoring slavery and FTS in the international press
- Researching our donor base and potential new donors
- Assisting with communications with existing donors and funders
- Translating academic reports to and from French
- Organizing and archiving Free the Slaves’ historical records
- Managing a donor database and other office logistics
We’re asking for a regular commitment of at least 8 hours per week, for at least 3 months, in our office in downtown Washington, DC.
Free the Slaves (FTS) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to ending modern slavery worldwide. Founded in 2000, FTS’ approach to eradicating slavery is rooted in a belief in the power of grassroots social change. We build partnerships with organizations working to eradicate slavery in their own communities around the world; current partners include local anti-slavery organizations in Ghana, Uganda, Haiti, Brazil, India, Nepal and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. This partnership work complements and informs our work in the areas of policy, research, slave-free trade and communications, as we strive to eradicate modern day slavery and trafficking. In addition, FTS runs the Freedom Awards, a major annual awards program to recognize organizations and individuals who are demonstrating effective methods for ending slavery. Headquartered in Washington DC, Free the Slaves’ has a satellite office in Los Angeles, California, and operations around the world.